There are literally millions of chakras in your body; they are the points used in acupuncture, yoga, meditation, and Ayurvedic sciences. In Sanskrit, the word “chakra” means wheel or disk. Think of them as magnetic vortexes that connect to the endocrine system and nerve endings.
When it comes to Reiki, and many other meditations you may encounter, there are seven main chakras aligned along the spine.
- The first chakra, Muladhara, is also called the root chakra. It is located at the base of the spine, its color is deep red. Physically, it corresponds to your bladder and colon. Emotionally, it concerns your roots:
Where did you come from? How grounded are you?
- The second chakra, Svadhisthana, is your sacral chakra. It is located below your belly
button, and above your root chakra. The sacral chakra is responsible for your reproductive organs, sexuality, and creative expression. Its color is vibrant orange.
Are you in touch with your sensuality? Are you inspired by your path?
- Manipura, or the third chakra, is located at the center of your solar plexus- below your ribs and above the belly button. The color of the solar plexus chakra is canary yellow, and it is associated with confidence and “going from your gut.” Physically, it primarily concerns digestion.
Do you go by your gut, or do you over-analyze? Do you have social anxieties? How often do you hesitate to act?
- The fourth chakra, or heart chakra, is called Anahata in Sanskrit. While it is connected to the heart center, it is not located directly at the heart, but rather in the middle of your breast bone. This chakra corresponds to our sense of love and connection to others; it connects the lower body to the upper body. The colors are green and pink.
How connected do you feel to those around you?
- Vishuddha, the throat chakra, is the fifth. The throat chakra is a light, clear blue. It is not just associated with speech, but with all forms of communication. It is linked to your throat, jaw, thyroid, and mouth.
Do you speak your truth? Do you find it easy to communicate with others? With yourself?
- The sixth chakra, or Ajna, is your third eye. It is located above the center of your eyebrows, at your pituitary gland. The color is deep blue, and is connected to your sense of intuition.
Do you heed the warnings and nudges of your intuition? Do you feel connected to other realms or frequencies?
- The crown chakra is the seventh. It is called Sahaswara, or “thousand petal lotus” in Sanskrit. It is associated with the color of lavender and correlates to the pineal gland. The seventh chakra is linked to spiritual enlightenment.
Do you have a connection to the environment around you, a spiritual practice, or yourself as a divine being?
If you are interested in more information on the chakras, chakraenergy.com is a good resource.